Tuesday 6 May 2014

Newquay, Day 1

This weekend we packed up our flip flops, filled the car with pic'n'mix and surf tunes, and drove the 200 miles or so down to one of my favourite places on planet earth.


NEWQUAY!

With a pit stop for coffee, we made it down by late lunchtime and checked ourselves in to the most amazing hotel I have ever visited in my life. The Headland Hotel is on Fistral Beach, Newquay and is an iconic silhouette on Cornwall's Atlantic coastline. The staff at The Headland could not do enough for us, and I thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone who's thinking of a trip down to the North Cornish coast. The room was comfortable, cosy and clean, but I'm not going to lie, there was one thing that excited me the most.




This was where The Witches was filmed! As a massive Roald Dahl fan this was pretty cool! I'll be watching the film again now to see if I can spot where I've been!

We were met by enthusiastic friendly staff, who were able to check us in a bit earlier than expected and given a tour of the hotel. Once shown to our room, the first thing I did was stick my head out of the window to get a face full of sea air.


Can you spot me?


What a view! We didn't shut the window for the entire weekend. We fell asleep to the sound of the waves crashing and woke up with the sunrise.

After the long drive, we headed straight down to the beach to explore and stretch our legs and take in the views. And obviously, take the obligatory beach selfie.




But all that paddling and shell collecting can take it out of a girl, and so somehow we ended up trying out the local refreshments...


We were pulled back to the hotel by the lure of the sea and decided that a wine on the terrace was necessary to truly enjoy the view before getting ready for dinner...



The sun headed behind the clouds and so it was time for us to freshen up and get ready for lunch. Especially as the sea air was making me ravenous! Dinner was served at the hotel's restaurant overlooking the same beautiful ocean views as from our bedroom.


The warm Cornish ham hock salad, with new potatoes and broad beans was the perfect opener and stomach quiet-ner! Beautifully smokey ham and wonderfully cooked potatoes, I could have eaten this all day long.




That is definitely my 'happy belly' face! Husband opted for the crab and smoked salmon roulade, which (after swapping a bite) I can vouch was really fresh and light, although I think I made the best choice for my growling empty stomach!


When by the sea, I always feel obliged to take advantage of the local sea fare, and so my choice of main was the sea bream, with sea kale and parmesan gnocchi. The sea bream was cooked just to my liking, big meaty white fish served with the crunchy skin still on.


But the main star of the show was the parmesan gnocchi. It was incredible! Cheesy, gooey, potato-ey goodness to mop up a smoky bacon veloute. I am going to have to try and make this myself sometime!

The lamb also looked amazing, and I managed to steal a mouthful to confirm! So soft and well seasoned, the mint seemed to completely permeate the meat. I don't think the husband was too much of a fan of the lentils though, as he's a bit more of a roast potato man!


We just about managed to fit in dessert, which was an orange parfait with coffee ice cream for us both, which was a beautiful light end to a lovely meal.


By then the food, travelling and wine caught up with us and all I could think about was cwtching up into that uber comfy bed, and dreaming of the next day's adventures...

No comments:

Post a Comment